Saturday, February 27, 2010

Thinking happy thoughts doesn’t cut it …

Walter Koenig: “My son was depressed.”
Reporter: “About what?”

That question has irked me all week. Andrew Koenig suffered from clinical depression, which is an imbalance of brain chemicals. He didn’t have to have a reason to be depressed. There didn’t have to be something specific in his life that made him depressed. He simply was.

I have struggled with depression during some of the best, happiest and most successful parts of my life. I know I was in a good place, but I couldn’t help feeling depressed. It’s not something you have control over and it doesn’t have to make sense. It’s not something you can wish away or snap out of by looking at the beautiful things in your life or practicing a good attitude. It’s your brain being hijacked.

No comments: