Thursday, March 02, 2006

Why do I write? Part 2

I mentioned in part 1 that I was a voracious reader long before I actually started penning stories. All these years later I still am. It’s one of the driving forces behind my writing. I cannot remember a writing project that wasn’t started simply because I could not find the book I wanted to read.

It’s what drove me to write THE PROTECTOR and begin THE GHOST CRAB. I had read my share of gay mysteries and suspense novels, worked my way through mainstream gay fiction and even indulged in some more sexual texts. What I wanted to read was a book that combined the best elements all of these genres. I wanted an adventure that included sex not happening off stage. And it couldn’t be in first person.

So I wrote one.

Benjamin Disraeli apparently had the same dilemma. He is credited with saying, “When I want to read a good book, I write one.”

And that’s why I write.

No comments: