Saturday, June 02, 2007

week in review

I haven’t done a thing this week and I feel so guilty I don’t even want to set foot in my office. I even mopped my floors this week to avoid writing.

I am convinced life would be easier if I had a laptop.

I am totally convinced life would be easier if I didn’t have insomnia and thus had some energy during the day.

BUT in the back of my head I know that laptop and insomnia have nothing to do with me showing up for work (after all, I show up for regular employment).

I think I need to get back on a regular every day/every night schedule (rather than only writing on my days off from sub teaching). That seemed to work for me and book 1. So my goal for this coming week:

  1. to be in the office and in front of my (husband’s) computer between 7 and 10 p.m.
  2. to not read e-mail or blogs or websites or do any research during this time
  3. to work on book 2, the new chapter 1

Just in case you are wondering why I am still on chapter 1 … I figured out what gave me such a big problem with book 2. I started too late. I had a good beginning, solid stuff, but I spent too much time setting up and explaining. It was a lot of telling rather than showing. A major no-no.

In hindsight, starting earlier should have been obvious … but I really liked what I had done and was looking for the problem in the wrong place. I should have remembered the quote on top of this page:

To be a writer is to throw away a great deal, not to be satisfied, to type again, and then again and once more, and over and over... John Hersey

No comments: